- senior/older pets
- pets with medical problems
- victims of breed prejudice
- shy pets
- those who need to be the only pet
Petfinder’s “Why Less Adoptable Pets Rule” makes me smile…
Here are just a few reasons we love “special” pets:
- Older pets are mellower – you don’t have to worry about your lamp getting knocked over!
- Physically challenged pets are often unaffected by their handicap – but you still look like a hero!
- With “bad reputation” breeds, you get the chance to prove people wrong with your great dog!
- Dark-furred pets make it easy to accessorize – black goes with everything!
- Pets with behavioral issues allow you to form a tight bond as you overcome obstacles together!
- Big dogs are easier to find when it’s time to go to the vet!
Takoda and I have the experience to back some of these claims up! When I adopted Takoda 8 years ago, she was a dark-furred behavioral mess with medical problems. We overcame these obstacles together, and she became an awesome dog – sweet, loving, sociable, athletic and adventurous. I couldn’t ask for a better companion.
Now, of course, she is also a senior pet with some new physical challenges. And I can tell you firsthand, pets do get sweeter with age!
Since Takoda’s leg amputation in July I have started noticing the many tripawds out there looking for homes. I can’t say enough about how amazing tripawds are!
If you’re looking for a new pet this week or anytime, consider a “less adoptable”!